Saturday, October 27, 2007

writer's block.

I've been itching to write again. But, instead I find myself staring at this silly flashing cursor. Now, I see it; now, I don’t. It's fascinating, really--fascinatingly annoying.

My mind runs over recent sermons heard, verses read, truth revealed, yet I reach out to grab hold of the slightest form of inspiration and draw back a nub. Despite my inability to express it… God has been very alive, moving and speaking volumes into my life. All signs pointing to the grace of God, power of prayer and the glory of His rescue.

I'm absolutely in love with the Living Word of God. I've spent months in the excitement of 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings. These books are action packed and hold some of the most intriguing characters I've come to know and love: Samuel, a man of God; Saul, a man who let fear separate him from the Lord; David, a man after God’s own heart; Jonathan, the loyal friend; Solomon, a wise guy with a weakness for the ladies. And then there was Jerobaum, Rehobaum and many many throne changes. Mix in some shady army leaders and prophets, a town that worships cows and the slaughter of many youths by the hands of bears… and you’ve got yourself a catchy little read.

I’ve spent some time in Deuteronomy 8 and Ezekiel focusing on the dangerousness of idols and the urgency to destroy them before they destroy you. I’ve glanced over Job and the beauty of his strength in God. I fell in love with Hosea and the tragically beautiful story of redemption and faithfulness. My boyfriend reads Isaiah to me as I imagine the countless times God directed my footsteps and I chose to stubbornly wander around in a desert for forty years, instead.

And then there was Christ. I have learned in my blimp of a five month relationship the act of selflessness and patience. I am reminded around every corner of Christ’s love and the call to pursue holiness and righteousness, to turn from evil and choose obedience. I have cared for another above myself. I have answered the call to pray big. Pray the impossible. Pray according to God’s Will. Pray without ceasing. Pray for the growth of other believers. Pray for opportunities and interruptions. Pray for leadership. Pray with thanksgiving. I seem to lack my normal wittiness and ability to paint a picture, even wrap this up eloquently... but this is my attempt to re-saddle the horse, dive in, hear what the Lord has to say.

No comments: