Monday, October 29, 2007

truth is absolutely absolute.

“But what about relativism? It poses as humble by saying: “We are not smart enough to know what the truth is—or if there is any universal truth.” It sounds humble. But look carefully at what is happening. It’s like a servant saying: I am not smart enough to know which person here is my master—or if I even have a master. The result is that I don’t have a master and I can be my own master. That is in reality what happens to relativists: In claiming to be too lowly to know the truth, they exalt themselves as supreme arbiter of what they can think and do. This is not humility. This is the essence of pride. The only way pride can be conquered in us is for us to believe in Truth and be conquered by it so that it rules us, and we don’t rule it.”

I only start with that, because I had originally planned to head up my post for truth with a disclaimer that I don’t know all the answers. So, that was personally convicting, to say the least. I can and will say that there are much wiser on the subject than I. But, I know enough. I know that the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and without error in the original manuscripts, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct. (2 Timothy 3:16)

I write this not to evangelize. I write this primarily for the eyes of my Christian brothers and sisters. This is me urging you to pursue Truth. To examine doctrine and find out what the Bible says about different issues. And follow up with this by living a life worthy to our calling. It’s not a newsflash that the Christian life we live has meshed so close with the secular world that it’s hard to distinguish a difference between the two. When we accepted Christ into our hearts, we didn’t get perfect… we just got forgiven. (I said that with a southern Baptist Bible man accent.)

I am completely aware of the fact that even as Christians we sin on a regular basis. What I cannot wrap my arms around is the art form of passivity and relativism that has been adapted and accepted by so many Bible-reading, Jesus-following believers. Trust no man. (Isaiah 2:22; Acts 17:11) Yet, with so many gifted speakers and best-selling books out there we are quick to jump on Christian bandwagons, myself included. My urgency is not in the act, but in everything, we should hold it up to the Word of God. Yes, it made you think, or convicted you, or ‘changed your life’; but can it be backed scripturally? Otherwise it is vain and futile.

A wise man once told me that even Jenny Craig changes lives. That made me giggle; but it’s true. Don’t hear me wrong, I am 100% on board for changed lives and good works, but I also believe that unless it is done in the name of Jesus Christ we have largely, HUGELY, MASIVELY missed the point.

I love Jesus. I believe in God. But for a scary amount of time that was all I owned up to. My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6). How encouraging is that? God calls us to be knowledgeable. A blind faith is not good enough for Him either. Ask the hard questions. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15).

Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and without error?
Do you believe in the Trinity?
Do you believe in Jesus Christ?
His virgin birth?
Sinless life?
Miracles and teachings?
His substitutionary atoning death?
His bodily resurrection and ascension into heaven?

Oh so many issues that people have managed to skirt around or avoid answering as to not offend or disagree with anyone. I hate to break it to you, but there are very clear answers to each matter in the Bible. Don’t by any means hear that I am saying to go out and look for a fight. But in a quiet place, search your heart, read the scriptures and ask yourselves the hard questions. Pray for wisdom and clarity. And then you had better take a side, come to a divinely inspired conclusion. We are destroyed by lack of knowledge. If there is doubt, we are like a wave tossed in the sea. What do you believe in? What do you stand for? And more importantly are you ready to be bold in the name of Christ?

No comments: