Matters of the heart
Colossians 3:1 says to set your hearts on things above. I don’t think this to be a suggestion. I believe it is a requirement of genuine conversion. Jeremiah 24:7 tells me I was given a heart to know God, by believing in the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit. Matthew 6:21 challenges me to question where my treasure is. Further saying that is where you will find my heart. I mean, would anybody enjoy answering that question aloud for people to hear? I would not. But if I’m honest, it’s written in my actions. It’s painted across my agendas.
Matthew 6:19 makes it clear what will happen to any treasures I attempt to store on earth. Could I then imply any time spent not treasuring God is a waste?
The parable of the hidden treasure in Matthew 13:44, has always bothered me deeply. The above commands, though hard to exude, are not rocket science. Treasure heavenly things, live eternally minded. I’m not great at it, but I get it God. But then He loses me.. “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.”
This man found the treasure and then did what? Hid it here on earth where it would perish. Ugh, you just told me not to store up treasures on earth… now you’re telling me where to hide it?
I had it wrong. I was focused on the work, the action of it all. Not the faith behind his hiding spot. But, tonight I picked up something new and very exciting. This information was key to unlocking the beauty of this “Treasure” scripture speaks of. It’s not in what he did, but more of what he found. The treasure in the field is the fellowship of God in Christ. (John Piper) The direct result of finding this treasure was ecstatic, unspeakable, life changing… JOY.
And if I can, allow me to travel right back to Colossians 3. I wondered why Paul writes not only to set your hearts on things above, but to also set your minds on things above. Even though, I am a victim of the same verbiage, I question why the use of both? We do whatever we make up our little minds up to do. We rationalize lies. We Christianize idols. We have this silly beating heart that gets blame for a lot of stuff, when all it really exists to do is pump blood. But better even, the heart paints a picture of love. The heart seems to be the center of our emotions. And I believe now, what Paul is saying by ‘setting your heart’ is none other than to love. The man in the parable fell in love with his treasure.
I am afraid to admit, for far too long I have known God with my mind, often missing out on the experience of loving Him with my heart.
Ode to the discovery of Treasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment